Masculine Chic Design


Who says guys don't want to have chic spaces too?



Have I got your attention?
If you thought Adam Levine was cool before, check out his LA home that he helped designed here!

One of my favourite bachelor clients contacted me recently to help him with his main floor renovation.
I did his spa bathroom a while back, and now the kitchen, living room and dining room needed updating too.

We will be taking down two main walls between the kitchen, dining room and living room for an open concept space - totaling about 23' x 18' including the foyer.  Not a huge space, but it has a lot of potential.

The look he wants includes clean lines but classic too; is modern but not stark;
and very functional but not overly stodgy... no problem!
He has NONE of this now by the way and, not a lot of furniture or storage either.

 The kitchen currently looks like this


I pulled some inspiration shots to get him thinking about the feel of the space. 
Here are some ideas for the kitchen

This kitchen feels very masculine - reclaimed wood beams, industrial lighting & hood vent,
stone backsplash, even the hardware on the cabinets is "manly"



We'll be doing something interesting on the end of the kitchen island
because it has a clear view from the front hall and living room.



We are going with a palette of light cabinetry (probably off-white or dove grey)
Dark quartz countertops
 Hardwood floors throughout the main floor
Cabinetry in a classic shaker style
Lighting and hardware aged bronze industrial, maybe forged iron


          



My client also wants to store his liquor somewhere in the kitchen....um, so not cool!
I'll make space for it in the living or dining room so that it can be displayed nicely 
and be easily accessible when needed...kind of like this!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the living room/family room/everything room, he needs shelves for books, storage and minimal display - there would probably be only books if he had his way, but as a designer, I can't let that happen;
we need some styled shelves for this open plan space.


The living room's wood-burning fireplace isn't working so it will be replaced with a new gas insert and flanked with shelving & storage and a place for a new TV.  
Of course, the first question he asks me is "how big of a TV can I put in here?".   
My reply,  "let's see what works in the plan first".  
Good thing he's actually not a huge TV watcher, so I don't have to decorate around a 60-inch screen.



I love the warmth of the caramel, tufted leather with the dark walls and velvety teal (or navy) pillows.  
This may be the start of a very chic colour scheme for the living & dining room!





The contrasting textures make this desk area really interesting:
grasscloth walls
lacquer & chrome desk
leather chair
wooden accents on wall and desk
black glossy paint on mirror and lamp

So Delicious Dahling!

Here's the living room now... dark & dated, no lighting and no personality!
I've got my work cut out for me but I love a challenge.


Sourcing for fireplaces, fixtures and tiles - then the dining room next.  
Stay tuned!

All images via my Pinterest Boards - Masculine Spaces & Kitchens




2 comments:

  1. what would you call the lighting used in your first kitchen concept? the two over the island in your more masculine design that are super industrial. Thank you, love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan - I would just call them industrial pendants - Restoration Hardware has a few very similar ones. And, thanks for stopping by!
      Ana

      Delete

You Might Also Like